Monday, September 29, 2014

Bread and Butter Pickles


                             Grandma Perry's Bread and Butter Pickles.... YUM YUM

One of my favorite treats was to get the bread and butter pickles from ma maw's fridge and snack on them. My other was her black berry jam.. That recipe will be next!!! So when I finally got into the canning and homesteading I contacted my aunt who has all her recipes and tried them this year..mmmmmm brought back so many memories :)


4 qts sliced cucumbers
6 sliced med. onions
1/2 cup salt
5 cups sugar
1- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
1- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mustard seed
3 cups cider vinegar

Ice down cucumbers & onions and salt. Let set about 2 hours. Combine all other ingredients - bring to boil.
Remove cucumbers, onions from ice water - add to boiled vinegar mixture until cucumbers are hot - Take hot empty jars and lids from hot water bath ( this is to sterlize and get the jars hot)
add pickle crisp per directions on jar add cucumbers, onions and vinegar mixture to jars. leave about a one inch space, wipe rims and- seal jars with hot lid.
Do not put back in Water bath
Set to the side and wait til you hear them POP. 
Got any questions just shoot me a comment :)
I started with this type of canning since the idea of a pressure cooker scared me.. but OH I AM READY NOW!!! I will be canning chili, beefstew and possibly potato soup this winter as soon as I buy a pressure cooker :)


ENJOY!!! I

If you are a crafter stop on by to my sisters blog
www.thecricutscrapper.blogspot.com
She makes some amazing crafty stuff. ME? not as crafty lol

No comments:

Post a Comment